WordPress, which initially started as a Blogging system, has today evolved into a full-fledged content management platform replete with useful plugins and widgets as well as some fantastic themes. Websites designed for WordPress are not only visually appealing but also functionally strong. As you start designing your own WordPress site, take a look at some of the best practices you need to embrace in order to start off in the right way.
Select Domains and Hosting package Before you start off with anything, opting for your chosen domain is very crucial. A domain is essentially your virtual address where your users would look for you. For example, wordpress.org is the domain name for WordPress which you would need to type into the address bar of your browser in order to access the WordPress site. It is very important that you come up with domain names that are short, catchy, easy to pronounce and do not infringe on anyone’s copyright. Once you have selected your domain names, get ready to search for the appropriate hosting package. Some factors which you should consider while looking for your desired hosting package, include:
- The host should support WordPress
- It should be able to host multiple domains
- It should provide you with your desired bandwidth and storage allocations
- It should have positive reviews
- It should fit your budget
Some of the WordPress friendly hosting provides include Page.ly, WP Engine, ZippyKid, and outstanding SETUP. If you get your domain with your Hosting package, then you do not need to install the name-server separately. Once you get your name-server, upload the WordPress files to the hosting account in order to get started. Choose a WordPress Theme Selecting the appropriate WordPress theme is the next important consideration prior to building the Web site. It is the design foundation that will define the level of attention your site will garner. It is therefore very important for you to consider the following factors while deciding on a theme.
- The theme should reflect the needs and preferences of your users in order to hold their attention
- The theme should be customizable
- The colour schemes used in the theme should not conflict with your brand
- The theme should be compatible with all the latest versions of WordPress
- The theme should be accompanied by extensive support and documentation
Ensure Security Despite the fact that complete security is probably a fantasy which hardly exists, you can at least try to put up a security cordon around your website to safeguard its safety as much as possible. A few options which you can employ to ensure security are as follows:
- Maintain an updated version of WordPress – Every version includes security upgrades and fixes. Therefore, it is always advisable that you maintain an updated version in order to safeguard your site against prevalent threats.
- Avoid the use of _wp as a prefix for your database tables – Apply your creative genius in prefixing your database tables with a unique name. This will help thwart the malicious intents of hackers.
- Avoid the use of WordPress version name on headers – By avoiding the use of version names, you ensure that hackers are kept guessing on the version. This reduces the possibility of threats.
For Hire our WordPress Developer for design and develop a wordpress website visit http://www.xhtmlchamps.com/hire-a-wordpress-developer.html